"Raising Souls"

"Raising Souls"

Thursday, November 20, 2014

$260 groceries for the month...

So I know I started the $65 per week thing but it's actually $260 for food for the whole month. So, yeah, longer months require me to stretch that buck even further! So this week was what I would consider my stock up week.

I know this picture is not about food... but he is licking his lips AND I could just eat him right up!

I was on an "I'm so sick of the same old thing" kick and even though I had a meal plan for the week starting Sunday I thought I'd probably be making changes... and I did. I figured I'd wait until Wed and include my Aldi visit. Well, I was in Minneapolis on a freezing day this Wednesday and I thought ...

What better than make a quick trip with all three of my kids in this insane arctic weather to Costco. I'm ONLY going to spend $20. (cue laughter)

I LOVE Costco (even with three small kids chasing the samples like treasures around the store!) I love their prices and organic products. The only kicker is at the checkout you kind of want to yelp... "But I only got a few things! How is this $70??"

So I stocked up on:

Butter (4lbs)
Organic Ground Beef (4lbs) (After I bought it I realized it is not grass fed. BOOO hoo! So sad.)
Garbanzo Beans (their canned are cheaper than buying the dried beans in stores and canned garbanzo beans make smoother hummus)
Ground Sausage
Cuties (my kid's treat for being so good)
2 Jars of Organic Strawberry Jelly
A huge bag of Frozen Organic Green Beans

Ok, so I got more than a few things... I think.

So between my $45 Trader Joe's visit and my $12 Aldi visit... I have $35 for the rest of the month. That will be plenty to buy fresh essentials to go with my stocked up items. ie. Milk, Eggs, Fruits, Veggies and Bread.

So here is my menu plan for this week:

Sunday: Chili and crackers
Monday: Homemade Chicken Pot Pie (it was AHHHMAZING!)
Tuesday: Asian Cabbage Salad with Sesame Sticks and odds and ends
Wednesday: We basically ate supper at Costco aka sample side plus cuties and veggies at home
Thursday: Ham, Broc, Coconut Quinoa and Grilled Cheese
Friday: Ham Carbonara and Green Beans
Saturday: Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana (see in my pinterest board)
Sunday: Spaghetti Squash with Thai Peanut Sauce, Garbanzo Beans and Rice
**I am having a Norwex Party on Sunday and will be making Pumpkin Cheesecake. Don't you want to come? You are invited!**

I also made yogurt on Monday and Bone broth on Tuesday. I used the bits of chicken from the bone broth drumsticks in the pot pie and it was truly amazing. My MIL has the easiest and yummiest pie crust recipe. Ever. I might just be a pie maker after all! (See in future post!) Also, while I made it from scratch otherwise with no recipe I used Trader Joe's organic frozen veggie mix and it was really good. The sweet corn in it was like fresh off the cob. I will definitely do that again. It solved my food blahs and I'm back to feeling inspired by food. That and I am now obsessed with Master Chef Jr. Man those kids can cook!

Speaking of what kids can cook never underestimate what your kids might EAT. My kids begged for Apple Slices, Garbanzo Beans and Milk for breakfast. So that's what they got. Talk about some power food. In case you were wondering. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment