"Raising Souls"

"Raising Souls"

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Healthy Eating at $65 a week!



I thought it might be fun to write a bit about our family transition to healthy and organic eating. First of all my goal is to maintain our budget while making ways and taking baby steps towards eating organic.

I often hear eating healthy costs more. It actually doesn't have to cost more, it just depends on what you choose to eat. Eating ORGANIC DOES cost more, almost double... so how have we  been able to maintain our budget and make slow switches to organic eating?  This series on "healthy eating" will highlight some of the ways I save money and feed my family wholesome food.

Feeding my babies always really strikes me. I am responsible for what goes into their mouths. What fuels their bodies. I exercise self control for them and get them enjoying and choosing healthy foods. While I want them to be eating healthy I also like to think I take a very balanced approach. My kids get a sucker almost every day when they visit the magic fairy at the post office with Daddy. (More on that at another time!) My kids get treats and rewards. Right now they get a squirt of whipped cream in their mouth for using the potty. (Gianna shares her reward!) And I also have no problem with occasional fast food and we still love pizza and other junk food. Food brings people together. It evokes joy, warmth and sharing. To put it bluntly food makes us pretty happy here at our house! I've left the "fat free" "sugar free" world FAR behind and focus on full fats (coconut oil, butter and olive oil) and healthy sugar (raw honey and real maple syrup).

I try to spend more money on food where it really counts in terms of health benefits (Organic Whole Milk, Organic Quinoa, Organic Grassfed Beef and Organic Chicken) and focus on cheaper WHOLE foods like beans, brown rice, carrots, cabbage, and 100% Whole Wheat Bread. More on that for a later post.

Making things from scratch and AS EASILY as possible is also key for my success. So if I can save money making something organic from scratch vs. buying the item conventional and convenient I try making it from scratch! For example conventional black beans from a can vs. organic black beans soaked and boiled on the stove.

My take on Organic. I used to think people who ate organic were total snobs. I also had an all or nothing approach to it. Truth is, sometimes all organic eaters are snobs. Sorry, its true! I will just vow to NOT be a snob, ever. So however you choose to eat - I RESPECT your choice. This is not about a competition. It wasn't until I was feeding little bodies - LARGE amounts of food. Augustine could eat as much as me when he was 2!! I finally realized... if I cut out conventional apples my baby's small body will have that much less chemicals and pesticides in their system. Hmmm, appealing. Very appealing. With health problems cropping up all over I really felt that eating more holistically was what our family was being called to.

Besides, I love food and I like a good challenge!

Thanks for joining me as I share our journey through healthy eating for 5 at $65 per week!

No comments:

Post a Comment