"Raising Souls"

"Raising Souls"

Friday, March 4, 2011

1/2 Marathon Training!

                                               This picture is from a looooong hike up a mountain in New Zealand.

Disclaimer: "I am training for a half marathon. That does not guarantee the half marathon will be run."

So, it is about time I just spill the beans. I've been training for a 1/2 marathon the past few weeks. Well, at first I wasn't sure if I was actually all in or just secretly hoping I wouldn't wimp out. I haven't made it public knowledge, until now. Even writing this I get this hesitant feeling in my gut. That fear. That fear of failure. If I say I am doing it - I HAVE to do it! 


I guess my main concern is that if God blesses us with another pregnancy in the midst of this training I just don't think I'll be able to complete the 1/2 marathon. I know it can be done, but with my first pregnancy I couldn't excercise for like 11 months! None-the-less, I am going to give it a try.


Thanks to my rocking friend Sarah who kicks my butt on the track, I am now up to FIVE miles!! I am so pumped!


In the months prior to getting married I got into an exercise/breast cancer research study called WISER with the U of M. I was randomly selected to be in the exercise control group. It was for four months and required me to run 5 times per week. It was a 30 min workout/run but was based on my heart rate, so towards the end of the training I was running on a treadmill with all resistance going uphill as fast as my legs could go. It was KILLER! Some fond memories of the study were getting up at 6am to go running on my wedding day, working out on the treadmill on our cruise ship during our honeymoon while Jeremy took a nap, running in circles and up and down our stairs at our tiny newlywed apartment at 11:00 at night, and lastly begging Jeremy to go with me to the gym at 12:00 MIDNIGHT so I could get my workout in while he worked (I was to scared to go alone.) After the four months were up I found out I was pregnant and didn't work out for the next 11 months. How is that for a break?!


The study was fascinating and I was able to see how I significantly built up bone density and how much fat I had lost in each part of my body, including my fingers! I was pretty proud of myself for how in shape and healthy I was. I was definitely in the best shape of my life which is what most girls would want for their wedding day. It worked out great. However, I never thought I would be able to motivate myself to workout like that again. Not that I am not a motivated person but when it comes to working out I am no personal trainer that's for sure.


Running a half marathon would really push me to my limits again and it would be my choice. I also love to see how discipline in one area affects other areas of my life. For example, I love junk food, I could easily eat a half gallon of icecream or a bag of chips or 2 bags of popcorn or an entire pizza. However, after a long run I prefer to eat more healthy - to nourish my body. I am much more self aware. I am a temple of the Holy Spirit and I should treat my body in this way. This training is a physical reminder of "running the race", as Saint Paul so wisley says, in my spiritual and emotional life. Becoming disciplined in prayer, family time, housework, outreach, organization, cleaning, and health. What a perfect lead into my Lenten reflections. More on  that to come...


So here is where you all come in... accountability. Updates to come!


Keeping it real,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I am blessed to have you as a running buddy, but if you aren't able to run the actual half marathon for as awesome a reason as being pregnant, that would be the best reason ever. I admire your openness to life, whether that means running 13.1 miles or being pregnant for 10 months - talk about a marathon onto itself! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete