"Raising Souls"

"Raising Souls"

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A drop of Irish goes a looooooong way!

*A special tribute to my mom the most Irish person I know ;-)*

Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone!

Growing up my Mom and Dad did a phenomenal job making holidays special, usually on a very very tight budget. St. Patrick's Day was all my mom's domain. She had a drop (literally) of Irish heritage in her family tree and she made the most of it. On St. Patrick's Day we were all 100% Irish! My mom would (and still does) decorate the house with green Irish hats, clover on the windows, and her collection  of Irish cards that my Dad has given her over the years. Being home schooled the day was Irish themed. Music class (and gym?) consisted of marching all around the house to McNamara's Band. Prayer time was embedded with old Irish proverbs and prayers. Oh, and you could be sure there would be some real Irish fare for dinner! Corned beef and potatoes maybe some cabbage and, my favorite, Irish soda bread!! As we got older grasshoppers were on the menu for dessert. It's enough to make me drive 5 hrs back home just to be with my mom and her infectious Irish spirit. Since I am here and not there... I have taken up the same Irish spirit ready to celebrate this holiday with all the spirit I have, while bringing my own small family into the festivities. Today I made green chocolate mint pancakes for breakfast for Jeremy and Augustine had green peas. We all dressed in green and gave Irish Good morning kisses and pinches. Then we have a performance of the (Eucharistic) Miracle in Lanciano at St. Patrick's Church in Oak Grove, MN. (That's right we can't forget the REAL purpose of St. Patrick's Day! An awesome Saint of the Church and the original purpose for this celebration. What?? It's not green beer??)

So, in honor of my mom, I have included some Irish Prayers and Proverbs with pictures from today's celebrations...

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction.



May the dust from your wagon wheels blind the eyes of your enemies



May the grass grow long on the road to hell for want of use.




May those who love us love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.



Like the goodness of the five loaves and two fishes,
Which God divided among the five thousand men,
May the blessing of the King who so divided
Be upon our share of this common meal.



And to finish this is an Irish prayer that is a classic and one of my favorites...

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
May the rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Happy Saint Patrick's Day everyone!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment